Monday, March 31, 2014

Corpus Trombone Quartet at University of Iowa

The Corpus Trombone Quartet and Prof. Hona from the Liszt Music Academy gave a masterclass and recital at the University of Iowa last week.  The whole experience was really great.  Throughout the class and recital it was very clear how these professionals approach the instrument and music making.  Intonation and rhythm are key.  How many hours can a professional trombone quartet spend working issues of intonation?  Many.  And still want more time to make it right.  The whole experience reinvigorated me to work diligently and to be  very aware of what I play.

Another observation was how style can be interjected into articulation.  I've found myself stuck in the way I think about articulation and even static in the type of articulation I use.  The masterclass really brought the the front of my attention how important the articulation is and how it can change through a work to convey style and musicality.

It was great having everyone here!

1 comment: