Sunday, March 2, 2014

Low Brass and Electronics

After having the opportunity to attend two recitals and a masterclass by Dr. Dylan Chmura-Moore I've been thinking more about trombone, extended techniques and electronics.  Dylan offers a very interesting take on the trombone and live electronic sound.  Its clearly a passion for him and he understands a great deal about the electronic sound production side of the production.

I sometimes think I would be interested in diving further into the electronic side of trombone music. However, when I really stop to think about it, much of the music may be inaccessible for me without learning a great deal more about computer programing and even building gear.  I may not mean its impossible for me to get interested in it, but it may mean I may not have the skill or interest to actually develop the field myself.  Something interesting to think about.

Check out Dylan's site and consider attending his recital at UI Monday, March 3rd.

1 comment:

  1. I have experimented quite a bit with some ideas for utilizing electronics into my performances.One of my better ideas involves using a Silent Brass system hooked up to a guitar pedal and then piped through an amp. Most pedals offer tons of presets and taking the time to just experiment with them can offer you a lot of insight as to what sounds great, intriguing, or just terrible. Then, you can take a the ideas and find ways to utilize them. Perhaps jazz combos, solo with uncommon accompaniment, or original compositions!

    ReplyDelete